Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Present

I finally have a few minutes to sit and write about this week's experience. This has certainly been the busiest week of the Christmas season. We truly have something to celebrate in the Andrew's house. This past Thursday Tom had his PET/CT scan. I have to say that I was totally amazed at the whole process. It is a 3-4 hour procedure and we were made to feel so at ease the entire time. I appreciate it when the staff not only explains to their patient what is going to happen and why but also to their family. I understood all the processes and why they were performing them. I was made to feel as comfortable as Tom, but did not have to be poked and prodded!

We received the news that his Calcitonin level had dropped (from 188 in August) to 180. We saw this as good news since this has been the first time the levels had dropped in all our test this year. Tom's primary doctor wanted to check the scan results and said that he would be checking over the weekend. On Saturday we received a call from him stating that the scan looked good and shows no evidence of a tumor. There is still fluid on the right side of his neck, but otherwise there was nothing in his neck. There is scar tissue from his radiation from the upper lung and that was all that showed on the scan. I don't think that I could stop saying "thank you" for letting us know. We received the information as we were getting ready for Tom's family party. Tom was appointed "Santa" and made the announcement before passing out the presents. There was a comment that the announcement was the best present.

I am so thrilled to be able to share this good news! I thank God for his timing and this "Present" of time that I have to spend with my husband. Tom and I have spent some time talking of how we have changed during this past 18 months. I believe that we have become a stronger couple and that individually we have tried to be better in word and deed. Tom and I know that this disease could show up again at any point and that this is not a final victory, but we will rejoice all the same! I want to thank so many of you who continue to pray for us and give us words of encouragement. I can't help turning again to the Psalms (can you tell they are my favorite?)
Psalms 111:3 "HALLELUJAH! I want to express publicly before his people my heartfelt thanks to God for his mighty miracles. All who are thankful should ponder them with me. For his miracles demonstrate his honor, majesty, and eternal goodness."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best post of all Valerie! Merry Christmas! I love all of you very much :}

Anonymous said...

great news Val.. Jim and I wish the best hoilday season for you and your family and please give Tom a big ole hug from me

Tell Dale and Cathy Merry Christmas for us too. we miss all you guys
Jim and Judy Goodburn

Anonymous said...

What great news,Praise the Lord. I'll be seeing you all soon.

Love Chris