Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Round 1, Winner...The Doctor

As our weeks typically go, it was another busy one at the Andrews. The kids were all anticipating the Friday night event of collecting free candy, a.k.a Halloween! However Thursday evening was special for Tom as he was invited to the Middle School as a guest of honor. Each 8th Grade student picked a Hero and Kyle (no surprise) picked his father. It was very touching. Tom and I thought he did a great job. Tom also had his first instructing class and had really enjoyed it. He is looking forward to the next two weeks when he can do it again.

On Tuesday we had received a letter from the insurance company rejecting the request for the PET/CT scan. It stated that since this was not a FDA Clinic treatment they were considering this as an Investigative study and denied the scan. Of course, Wednesday started my phone calls to the various offices asking what this meant and what was the next step? Thursday evening, we received a phone call from Tom's primary doctor's office stating that the doctor was working very hard with the insurance companies along with talking with other physicians to get this scan approved. Apparently he has taken Tom's case to heart and was out there fighting for him. The office manager said that she had never seen him so upset. Then on Friday while I was at the kids' parties at school, Tom talked with the office manager and she said that Tom would be scheduled for the scan in December. I was so relieved! Of course my sarcastic husband would joke with others this weekend stating that the insurance company has deemed him "cancer free" and that he was "cured" I however told him that there were people out there that cared for him and were fighting for his life. As if others did not know before, I am the serious one.

I can't say it enough times, thank you for listening, reading, and caring about our family's situation. Though we have had some rough days & events, we are still just going on with life. This week as I was talking with my mother I was explaining to her that our God has a total sense of humor. Wednesday when things seemed bad I was just going over & over how miserable things can be... complaining in my head & heart. Then it came to my mind that I can't change the circumstance but I can change my attitude, (a Beth Moore sermon) and I thought of many things she had said. That night I sat down to watch her show and that sermon came on. I had to stop myself from laughing the whole show. God not only told me, but showed me. It was like Wednesday he was saying, "You just listen child, I am going to get this through your head one way or another!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val, I too get on what I call negative downward spirels. Til the Lord turns me around and I praise Him for what I have and had. This last week was probably the worst, because it seems that since Norm died everything started breaking down. Last week I was just so tired of it. Yes we do have a choice in how we are going to deal with our circumstances-look up and pray and praise or look at our circumstances and complain. You mentioned her show-does Beth have her own TV show now? I'd be interested in seeing it if I can get it. We are doing Esther this Jan.
Christie

Anonymous said...

valerie, sometimes i too wonder why does god put so many obstacles in my path and what am i supposed to do now, my soul searching time is when i take long walks and i just search for the answers when all along they are right in front of me, and that is to put everything in god's hands he knows what we need before we even ask for it, you and tom are spiritually strong individuals and in my heart i believe that everything will be alright, i love you and my prayers are always with you and your family,lori