Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2007

Hospital Stay

Tom is resting comfortably tonight. I drove home today, but have talked to him a few times. His pain is under control and his appetite has increased. Dr. Teknos wanted him up and moving even more today so he took quite a few trips around the block (he even passed a lady in the hall, he was really cruising!) I kept telling him to take it easy and he said that he had to keep moving, he wasn't going to just sit around once he got home. I told him in that case..the house needed vacuuming, dusting and mopping. I don't think he appreciated my sense of humor. He had a couple of visitors today and I think it really lifted his spirits.

The Physical Therapist also talked with him today. She gave him a sheet with his exercises and told him to try and do them twice a day. It is important in his recovery so that the scar tissues do not swell up and cause him to have limited movement in his neck. Dr. Teknos came by after I had left U of M and told Tom that he probably would not be coming home until mid week, Tom's goal was Sunday. The drains are still filling more than he had expected, which could extend his stay. I'm not sure who talked with Tom, but early in the day Tom was told that maybe one or two drains could be removed tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone; Tom's nerves were not cut nor damaged. His nerves are stressed from the surgery. When I blogged at the hospital, some of their computers were not working and people were constantly waiting to get on. I really didn't even check what I wrote, especially when I hurriedly sat down to update. Another question people have asked is whether they went into Tom's sternum. They did go into the chest cavity, below his clavicle bone, but they did not have to open his chest. I hope that I did not give the wrong impression. He was cut almost from ear to ear only for his surgery. We call it his smiley face, but I was thinking on my drive home that it's a symbol of his loyalty of this University. Where did they engrave the M? Well, I've made this posting long enough. Thanks again and again for all they kind words and generosity. God bless.

No comments: