Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Day After

Wednesday was a long day here at the U of M. Tom was in surgery from 7:45 am to 6:15 pm. Cathy and I were able to see him a little after 8:00. Then between 9 and 10 he was assigned to the room he will stay in until his leave. We stayed with him until 11:30 when he was finally sleeping for longer periods of time we called it a night. His room number is 4415-2 and his room phone number is 734-936-6416. This morning when I saw him, his swelling was still down and as of now, he does not have a trache. They are monitoring his blood levels today as he lost a lot of blood during surgery yesterday.



This morning we saw both of the surgeons Dr. Teknos and Dr. Old. They said that they had to cut the Coratic artery, but were able to save most of the nerves. They also had to do an extensive amount of scrapping around his swallowing passage muscles. They said that he had a huge amount of tumor and that his thyroid was quite enlarged, especially on the right side. They said it was a stressful surgery yesterday. They confirmed that he would have physical therapy. Also that his radiation will start in about 4 weeks.



Tom is in good spirits and not complaining about much other than a little naseau and of course the sore throat. He has a window view from his room. It is a nice view and he loves the fact that he can see Aeromed coming and going. You can see the landing pad. Thanks again for the notes, I have been sharing them with Tom. The prayers have also been greatly appreciated and I know that we are not done yet. God is good and has been with all of us during this difficult time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom and Val,
Wow! What a long day. It can be so exhausting waiting for word. We are so thankful that Tom has come through surgery. We will continue to lift you in our prayers and will keep checking for updates. Tom, I was able to spend a good amount of time with your mom yesterday. We'll keep checking in on her as well.
We love you,
Jim and Sheri

Susan said...

Tommy-now I can type without crying. I'm so sorry for everything you're going through. Even though we don't get to spend a lot of time together please know I Love You and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Val-You've been so strong through all of this I'm proud to call you cousin-in-law. I'm sure everyone has told you to call if you need anything...I want to be added to that list!

PS-Tommy I'll try and give Bill the big sloppy kiss you wanted me too...maybe I'll tell him it's from Val :)

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Give Tom a big kiss from me. Chris was so excited to hear from him today! We are still continuing to pay for you and know we love you very guys very much!
Hugs and Kisses
Amber

John Kramer said...

Tom and Valerie,

We are so glad that thesurgery went well. We will continue to pray for a speedy recovery. It is obvious that God guided the surgens through surgery and kept their hands sturdy and on track. I know that the road to recovery is going to be a long one but remember that along that roadway are several flowers and family members who care and love you so very much. Take it easy and get well soon. Oh and Val, you need to keep an eye on Tommy as I heard that air traffic controlers reported hearing Medflight reporting a seeing a guy in his underware standing in a window tryingto signal them. Hmmmmmmmm.....wonder who that could be????? Take care and God's speed to recovery.

John and Karen Kramer and girls

Anonymous said...

Well, at least we know it wasn't Tom confusing the Medevac Heli 'cause from what I hear Tom doesn't wear underwear! Man, I am so glad to hear that Tom is up and walking around the block. This is much sooner than I would have expected. Like everyone else on here, Robin and I prayed for Tom's Doctors to remove all the cancer and for Tom to recover quickly. (and for the family's strength) We're reading daily now to find out the results and the fact that Tom is on his feet really brings a sigh of relief.

Keep up the good work and we hope to see you guys soon.

Love,

Dan and Robin