Total Pageviews

Monday, August 13, 2007

Guinea Pig

Well, happy Monday and here we go again. We went to the Oncologist today who bombarded us with information and options. He confirmed once again that Tom has Medullary Thyroid Cancer, which he confirmed is a rare cancer. He also said that chemo will not destroy the cancer. So far nothing new until...He would like Tom to have a Genetic study at the Van Andel Institute. This would have to be done through a grant that would have to be approved before we could begin, and right now it's in the paper shuffle pile. This study would be approximately 1,000,000.00 study that our insurance would deny, and since we are a few pennies shy, would be a Federal Grant. If this is approved Tom would need to have a needle biopsy before the surgery would take place, or they would test the tumor after it is removed (which Dr. did not like as well since the surgery is on the East side of the state). I believe Tom will have some radiation, but we did not concentrate on this during the consultation. As we walked out of the office I had to tell Tom, "I always knew you were rare" :)

Thanks again for all the cards, letters, e-mails during our trying time in life. We appreciate all the prayer warriors that are faithfully talking to the Great Physician of life. We are now focusing on the next consultation on the 23rd and what this will entail. As we get more information and know dates I will get up the nerve (more likely give up control) as to some of our family life. Again we appreciate all who have volunteered themsleves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, you are thought of often. We continue to lift you in prayer and are here to help in any way we can.
Love You Guys!

Anonymous said...

I promise that when you give up some of the 'family control' to me I will not treat your kids like I use to treat my brother when I would babysit him! Only if I have your permission :}

Cathy!

Anonymous said...

You both know that we will help you also:) Do not hesitate to ask us!

Chris and Amber