Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Insurance Progress Report 2.0

This week was a hot one! I think we hit 90's for the first time this year. The rest of the family went out and enjoyed Cobb lake on the hottest day this year, thanks for the invite Cathy.

On Thursday I received a call from Tom's case manager. The PET scan has been denied again. This launched a number of phone calls, and I was the one in charge since Tom was @ WMU enjoying the day with Cody. I talked with the Oncologist office and with Tom's primary doctors office. It is still not clear if it is the "head to toe" area of coverage or the PET scan itself that has been denied. The denial stated that guidelines are not met to be covered for a PET. What is clear is that both doctors will be sending in letters to help resolve this issue. I also asked if having a team of doctors agreeing to this procedure would be beneficial. So far we are not getting U of M involved, but I did question if it was a good the idea. It took me half the morning to make all the calls. Tom's reply was the "I must be cured, the insurance company thinks so" I did appreciate his sense of humor but once again by the end of all the phone calls I just felt frustration. For now we wait as the doctors send in their letters and have the medical director review further information to make another determination as to what "fits" into their approval.

Not only does life keep going on through these struggles, there are many small blessings & trials along life's way. We can react to them many different ways. I believe it is not the struggle we will look back on, but the way we handle them. I prefer to pray through them....
Psalms 46:1 "GOD IS OUR refuge and strength, a tested help in times of trouble."

No comments: