Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 8, 2007

End of Week

Another week of radiation done. Tom has had a rough week. He eats one solid meal a day (which is a struggle) and the other two are a liquid diet. His weight is going into the downward motion again. He is now talking in a glorified whisper. His coughing has increased due to his saliva becoming more like a thick mucus. On Monday Dr. Buth put him on a new prescription to relax him and help him sleep because the tightening in his throat has given him "panic attacks" during the night and he is having difficulty sleeping. At the pharmacy they know me be sight now, and I am starting to feel like a drug distributor. We have put the Radiation calendar on the frig and I remind him each day how many treatments that we have to go. I'm not sure how he keeps such a good attitude about all this. In all honesty if the tables were turned, I'm not sure how I would handle all that he has gone through. This week Tom had mentioned that he does not want to do this anymore. Though I try to be his cheerleader, I know that I would not make such good patient. Throughout Tom's treatments we have met so many other cancer patients that have a dimmer survival rate of success and their stories touch my heart. It makes me think once again how fortunate we are. I am realizing that I have taken a lot for granted in my life. I know God did not allow cancer in our lives just to show me I should be grateful, but I am learning to be more so through this experience than I ever could have in life's daily path.

No comments: