Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Trick or Treat

A belated Happy Halloween to everyone. I was going to write for the last two nights, but life is still hectic here around the Andrews household. It's amazing to me that since Tom has returned from the hospital, I've had to hit the ground running. In fact, with Tom being out of commission, I find myself running like I did when he worked 2nd shift. I realize how much I take things for granted.

Tom had his first true radiation treatment on Halloween. He was given the choice for the shots and he decided he truly wanted to swallow easily with saliva for the rest of his life. So, this means that he was at the Dr's office to get his two shots (each day) 30 minutes before his treatment began. His first shots were given one in each arm. Today he will get two shots in the stomach (brings back the days at U of M, not pleasant memories), and then the next day one in each leg. Then the shots start back in his arms again. It also means that he needs to take another prescription to fight the nausea that these shots create. Tom is radiated from both the front and the back.

This is a difficult step for Tom to take and he is not looking forward to the next 6-7 weeks. I have asked Tom how many total treatments he will receive because the Dr. was undecided between 30 to 35. Tom still is not sure how many he will need in total. At this point Tom needs to be at the hospital at 12:00 and treatments start at 1:00. This schedule may change as they have a child case coming soon that they will need to work around. I know that this is a necessary step in Tom's treatment but it must be hard when you feel your body is going backward. For my prayer warriors: continue to pray for Tom's energy levels, positive attitude, and healing of his sore throat. I have been reading Job thanks to a sermon by our pastor and what has been sticking with me these days is the first chapter where everything was taken from him. In verse 21 Job says, "I came naked from my mother's womb, and I shall have nothing when I die. The Lord gave me everything I had, and they were his to take away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Amen

No comments: