Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Travels

Monday night was our last meeting for Relay for Life. It put us on the road about 8:00 pm and our first time taking I-94 towards Detroit. The change of scenery was nice and I knew we would end up in D-town late so I called ahead to let them know we would arrive around 10:30 or so....Or so was more like it! I set the GPS to head to HFH, but not the one in Detroit, rather West Bloomfield. As we were heading towards the end of our destination I was looking out the window and telling Tom how familiar this area looked. We recognized the highway and streets and then I realized we were heading to the wrong destination. We were about 1/2 hour out of our way. Tom was very good though not happy about driving through downtown. He now knows where all the gentlemen clubs are in Detroit.

His appointment was bright and early the next morning so we got up, went down to the hospital's cafeteria for breakfast. We met with Dr. Ali who was pleased with all of Tom's levels and has decided to put Tom back on the Chemo at a reduced rate. We had to wait for all of Tom's labs to be processed before the pills could be administered. We had most of the results back within an hour except one. Three hours later we finally got the last one and Tom was ready to get home.

We were supposed to be out of the room by noon, but we were a little late and the staff was wonderful about it. There guest housing are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments on the 6th floor of a 22 story building on the hospital grounds. We are still very impressed with this hospital. I couldn't help but think if Tom does need surgery down the road, I'll be very comfortable staying at the hospital in these apartments. I made sure the GPS was properly programmed to take us home and nowhere else; only to realize 10 miles down the road that I had left a couple items in the room and we had to turn around to go back to get them! I am not sure if I will be invited to go with Tom again :)

Tom has asked his doctor to clear him to return to work after Labor Day weekend. He has asked to change his schedule to Friday-Sunday nights so that he will not need to take any further time off of work for his trips to Detroit. I am not sure if Tom feels well enough to return to work or is just worried about finances. I hope he does not try to over do it.

I wanted to share with you again some of my readings from my morning devotion (thanks again for the book Mom Andrews)

There is nothing but God's grace. We walk upon it; we breath it; we live and die by it; it makes the nails and axles of the Universe.
by Robert Louis Stevenson

1 comment:

Cheryl Smith said...

Love you guys. Sounds like an adventure! Thanks for sharing!